Monday, March 31, 2014

Taking the Lid off! - Montressa's View

Well, I am glad Mike started the post about taking the lid off! So, it only makes sense that I address some of my lids. And, boy I had them. That's why I needed a bff like Alex. She always had a sense of where and what the lids were. You know, she would ask me questions about where I was at and it helped illuminate things for me.

Well, I had the father thing. I wanted his attention and his respect and thought I had to do things or be a certain way to get it. Guess what, that's not true. That's a "nice" idea, but it did keep the invisible prison walls there until I could see them.  Then there was the "there won't be enough money if I set off to do what I want" fear. And, there was the "I'm not qualified" to do this conversation I was in. Shall I go on? Okay... Through my conversations with Alex and through my perseverance I kept going and heading for what I wanted. Then there's the "my boss won't like me if I leave" idea I had to get through, as well as what will my father think. That was a big one and then there was, "the company won't survive without me!" That was a fun one too. And, it was true, I had done a lot for ICE. But, then the ICE board made some decisions on their own that I couldn't support. So, that paved the way for me to make my decisions about my life. You know, life has a way of working out... especially when you find those pesky lids!!

What it boils down to is this: "Is your life worth it or not?" Yes, there's all these "things" in the way, but you need to connect with YOU. As you identify the "lids", those invisible prison walls that keep you in place, you need to ask yourself, "Is this true? Is this really true?" That is how you make the lids visible and ultimately THAT is how you remove the lids. Once you can see them you can then begin to make choices about them!!

But, make no mistake about it, I had to confront many things. What I mentioned above are only some of the bigger things. Then there are the relationship issues - oh, the lids... my word. But, I got to see those and confront those as well. I talked about them many blogs ago. I just didn't relate them to "lids" on who I am!! They definitely were. They were tied in with self-worth and even family issues. Oh yes, very invisible, but once you put some attention on them and the importance of your life, lids get visible in a hurry. And, you can make choices about them that address the fundamental question about you - "Is my life worth it or not?"

No comments:

Post a Comment