Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Is Dr. Hubbel In?

Ah yes, Dr. Hubbel. None of my comments here would be complete without his mention. Call it what you will, but Dr. Hubbel is basically doing psychic research! In his lab, he is probing into the mind, how we perceive reality and what we can do with that kind of data. Well, at least he has been getting grants for that. My work with him has been moving rapidly as we test various subjects and see how they react in our experiments. Sometimes it's pretty intense. Like the time Ross flipped out from lack of sleep. Now that I mentioned Ross, I have to tell you, even though he is a bit younger than me, I haven't met a man with more heart. Really. That's why I noticed him. He does have a few rough edges, but that really is part of his charm. That and the way he was able to disengage from his rich family. Ahh..sweet Ross. Sorry, I shouldn't coo so much, but he did represent a challenge for me to stay focused on my work but HUGE gift at the same time!

First I met Dr. Hubbel and interviewed with him. Talk about the power of attention. I really wanted to work with him and do this "mind" research. So, I just set my sights on it! That simple. Too many times in life we talk ourselves out of things. I could have let my lack of an official PhD hold me back. But, hey, I was ABD! That's all but doctoral thesis. So, I had everything for my PhD, but I had not had my thesis accepted. So close, and in this case cigar!! I figured where could he get a person with my overall experience to assist his research? I was suprised that even with their budget restrictions he had some very sophisticated equipment. Then too, maybe they measure psycho-kinetic influence with meters in "Ghostbusters", but that's not the way it really happens. Sometimes data is just data, you know. Two dimensional, on a sheet of paper! Doesn't sound very futuristic does it? In that case, I would love to have the napkins of Albert Einstein! Futuristic, indeed! It's more about what the data is physically saying. Anyway, THAT is exactly why Dr. Hubbel wanted me to work there. He had a good sense about what I could do, especially after we had the "reality talk" at my interview. I even started to make changes in process before I was working at the labs officially.

Talk about a reduction in my stress level! The labs made my work at ICE look like slave labor by comparison. Work at the labs was tough in the beginning, but the wrinkles soon smoothed out. Hey, my attention was on making my life more fulfilling. Isn't every change like that? You know, there's all this fear going into it and soon, if you haven't over-thought everything, things just get better. Change agents motivate you, but then you need to grab the bull by the horns and make the "hard" decisions. Well, I did!! Freaked Ben Archfeldt out, but that's another whole story!!

No comments:

Post a Comment